sense of place
In 1886, the city’s first port facility, one of the most modern of its time, was opened and accelerated Düsseldorf’s rise as an important hub of trade and industry.
In 1906 Georg Plange, owner of the largest milling company in Europe at that time, erected a striking flour mill building, visible from afar, to produce the Diamant flour brand. © city archive Düsseldorf
The economic boom during post-war reconstruction in the 1950s was followed by a comprehensive restructuring of the port, triggered by the advent of container shipping as well as the coal and steel crisis.
From the mid-1970s onwards, offices and businesses increasingly moved in among the industrial enterprises, and from 1990 onwards development of the MedienHafen (Media Harbour) has transformed the area into the city’s go-to district. © city archive Düsseldorf / Tata Ronkholz